Friday 17 July 2009

Review: Eye Shadow Base and Effect Powder by Gosh Cosmetics

Ok so I finally bought the eye shadow base. My local Superdrug now have a huge range of Gosh products in and they were on offer (3 for 2) and I couldn't resist. At £5.87 it was relatively cheap. I wanted a new eye shadow brush, and as it was 3 for 2 I decided to try an Effect Powder (£5.38). I bought in 'Meringue'. They also let me use my student discount on top. Win!



On to the review and I'll start with the Eye Shadow Base

Pros:
Don't need much
Good consistency but does need a blend
Makes colour *pop*
Stays all day
NO CREASING!!!

Gosh also say:
Waterproof
Doesn't melt

Cons:
None

The base has a lovely creamy consistency and easily transfers from the stick to your eye area. Once on I blended out with my finger but your average eye shadow brush works just as well. First time I used it I went with my daytime makeup which consisted of eye shadow powder in neutral tones (True Colour Eye Shadow Quad in Sueded Nude from Avon). The colours worked really well on top of the base. They applied well and their true colours showed up in comparison to just putting it straight on your eye area without a base. I think the colours blended better on top of the base as well which was an added bonus. When I came to remove my makeup at the end of the day it had stayed in place and there was no creasing which was fantastic. If summer ever returns I'll see if it holds up to the claims that it doesn't melt in hot temperatures.

Here's what I thought of the Effect Powder



Pros:
Good pigmentation
Don't need much on a brush if using on top of the base
No creasing
Stays all day

Cons:
None

The second time I used the base, I used Gosh' Effect Powder in Meringue as my eye shadow on top of the base. With it being a pearly iridescent pink, I thought it'd be quite understated and not have much impact. Boy was I wrong. The base really helped it to 'pop'. It stayed on all day, blended incredibly well and didn't crease. The base also holds up to it's promise about being waterproof. A big plus with the Effect Powder is when I absentmindedly rubbed my eye, it totally stayed put and didn't come off which was great and a definite added bonus if you were to compare it with say, the Barry M Dazzle Dust pots. Oo that reminds me, I totally love Gosh for this, their effect powders have little sifters on them so the product doesn't go everywhere. Whereas Barry M Dazzle Dusts don't have these sifters on and the stuff goes EVERYWHERE. On the website, Gosh say that the Effect Powders are multi functional. I used it as a highlighter on my cheekbones and it looked fine as it's nice and fine and not obvious or heavy. Gave me a nice healthy glow. It seems similar to the Bella Pierre Cosmetics eye shadows that I raved on about a couple of posts back, so I'm assuming these Effect Powders can be used as nail polish and lip gloss too. When I buy some clear lip gloss I'll let you know how that goes. I've not tried this or my Bella Pierre products as a nail varnish but maybe one day I'll bite that bullet. Either way I'll let you know =]

So Gosh is a definite winner, and a brand I am most definitely going to start using more. Who needs MAC when we've got Gosh huh?

All in all I'd say the eye shadow base should definitely be a staple item in any girl's makeup bag. Most primers I've seen are anywhere from £10 - £30. With Gosh coming in just under £6, what's not to love? And if you wanted to build up your eye shadow collection, Effect Powders are well worth a try and they've got so many lush colours to choose from. If I were you, go for it, this is a purchase you won't regret.

Until next time,

PPPD xx

No comments:

Post a Comment