Tuesday 14 September 2010

^ Cupcake Creations ^

Hello lovelies!!

After saying I would for ages, I finally got around to making cupcakes! And it's the start of National Cupcake Week. Good timing, no?

Here are my cupcake creations!





Recipes
(Borrowed from the incredibly talented Milly!!)

Cupcakes
This is for 12 cupcakes:
4oz Caster Sugar
4oz Butter
WHIZZ*
2 Large Eggs
6oz Self Raising Flour
Pinch of salt
Drop of Vanilla Extract
WHIZZ
Add to some suitably pretty cupcake cases
Put them in the oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 15-18 minutes (slightly longer than Milly specified but ours weren't quite ready after 10-12 minutes)

*WHIZZ of course means mix with a hand held electric whisk :D

Frosting
(Borrowed from the Hummingbird Bakery Cook Book)
250g Icing Sugar
80g Unsalted Butter
WHIZZ
25ml Milk
Few drops of Vanilla Extract
WHIZZ

I added food colouring to mine to make mine pink and purple! The best way to do this is to use a skewer, dip it into the food colouring, then carefully drop the colouring into your frosting mixture. This avoids the terrible 'I've accidentally tipped too much colouring in now have freakishly bright red frosting' incidents. An old school tip from 70's Home Economics teachers, imparted to me by my dear old Mum. Wise advice indeed!

I used a piping bag to pipe my frosting on to my cupcakes. It didn't really help that my Mum managed to split it so I ended up with my hands covered, but that's somewhat by the by ;)

Decorations
Morrisons Pink Glitter Sugar
Morrisons White Chocolate Stars
Morrisons Cupcake Cases - they do polka dot ones too!


Conclusion: A truly messy affair, but very fun indeed. My creations didn't look anything as spectacular as Milly's, but I aim to get there one day!

What do you think? Do you have any cupcake baking wisdom to share? If you have any questions, ask away :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

16 comments:

  1. THESE LOOK GORGEOUS WELL DONE XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg, they look so pretty that I think I'd feel guilty biting into one! Love the decorations, too. I'll have to try making them, but I've just put a sultana cake in the oven!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow they look brill. Im going to make some on Thursday and blog about them :) I had them cases, So funky!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm nom nom nom! I may have to try this recipie out myself!! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicoletta - Thank you lovely :) xx

    Beauty's Bad Habit - Aww thank you :) Oo sultana cake sounds nice! xx

    xDiamondsandPearlsx - Thank you :) Oo looking forward to seeing yours! Ha aren't they brilliant? I was like "OMG leopard print!!" xx

    Sherrie - Thank you! xx

    Hannahh - Hehe, go for it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow those cupcakes look lovely! I'll definitely be trying that recipe soon :D Yum :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh these look yum! I'm tempted to make some now!! :)

    Daisy :) x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks :) Hehe have fun if you do :D xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh you used a slightly different recipe to the one I used.

    http://behindtheshoes.blogspot.com/2010/09/very-merry-un-birthday-to-me.html

    If you don't mind I might give this recipe ago.

    Love the cupcake cases. The ones I used were white and boring but I think the glitter made up for it !

    Rachelle Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used Milly's recipe :) Sure, have fun with it :D Thanks, they're cute aren't they? xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey cupcakey!
    Oooh wow wow, these look fantabulous :)Well done you, I adore the lickle stars!
    Thank you for the mention as well sweetie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG slurp!!! Can I have some? :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Milly - Hi :) Thank you! You're most welcome xxx

    Stavroula - I'll FedEx some over ;) xx

    ReplyDelete