Thursday 23 September 2010

Review: e.l.f. Mineral Booster in Sheer

Hiya :)

Last month, I ran out of my beloved NYC translucent face powder. This happily coincided with me making an e.l.f. order. I decided to pick up their Mineral Booster in Sheer, guessing it was going to be pretty much translucent, and I'd been warned away from the Shimmer option. I was hoping it was going to be everything I could have wanted in a powder. Unfortunately, I was disappointed.

Product



e.l.f. say: Achieve the ultimate, translucent "photo finishing touch" to your makeup, our Mineral Booster melts into your skin, infusing it with key vitamins A, B and E to promote healthier skin that’s noticeably silkier and smoother. Completely sheer and ideal for all skin tones, Mineral Booster gently absorbs oil and minimizes the appearance of wrinkles, fine lines and pores for a beautiful even finish. Wear alone or buff over our Mineral Concealer and Foundation to lend extra staying power and to achieve a professional and stunning porcelain matte look that will last all day.

I say: I was hoping for a translucent finish. Not an obviously powdery one. Fail. I should probably note that I was using this on top of my foundation just to set it, and I wasn't using a lot of product to do so. It doesn't say you can't. Then again it doesn't say you can. My bad? The powder is fairly finely milled, but not as fine as I would like. My skin did feel silkier and smoother but this wasn't completely sheer, and it cakes over concealer. Yuck. You might as well have put an arrow on my face pointing to any blemish. Rubbish. However, the powder does seem to keep my T-zone fairly matte, but its not as good at this as my NYC powder was, as it doesn't last all day. Maybe this wasn't designed to be used over liquid foundation, but I don't really like it, and will stick to my cheapy high street NYC bargain instead.

Application



e.l.f. say: Shake the Natural Mineral Booster back and forth to get excess loose powder into the tray. Gently glide over the powder with an e.l.f. Kabuki Brush to grab the powder, bring your brush to the cap to work in the powder to the brush, then tap off any excess. Apply to areas of the face that need coverage by working into the skin in a circular motion.

I say: *Sigh* If you're going to have a product like this, I think it needs a second lid over the holes in the tub - like the GOSH Effect powders. But I guess we can't expect too much from something that costs £5.00? (Yeah, silly me, I bought the big tub). And of course the little sticky label thing doesn't keep powder at bay. I'd HATE to travel with this! It'd be everywhere! I don't own a Kabuki brush, and I've always relied on my Face & Body brush from The Body Shop to apply powder as it distributes a light dusting of powder perfectly.

Price: £3.50 for the small tub, £5.00 for the large tub.
Size: Small = 5.1g, Large = 17.8g
Available from: e.l.f.

Ratings
Product: 6/10
Price: 9/10
Packaging: 8/10
Overall: 7/10
Repurchase: No

Have you tried any of the Mineral Boosters? What are your thoughts? I'll be sticking to my NYC powder I think!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

4 comments:

  1. 17 loose and pressed powder is really good xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've used 17 powder before it's pretty good :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww I'm sorry that the mineral booster didn't work for you! :( I swear by it! Have you tried the hd one from elf?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I have tried the HD powder, didn't like it either lol xx

    ReplyDelete