Tuesday 8 February 2011

Tuesday Treats: Cupcakes of all varieties!

Hello lovelies!


Whenever I mention on Twitter that I'm having a baking session, I get inundated with requests for photos and recipes. Today I thought I'd share with you my latest creations and recipe variations! This is a bit of a long post, so apologies in advance :)

* Cupcake Creations *






* Recipe & How to *



* Cake Mixture*

4oz caster sugar
4oz butter
WHIZZ
2 large eggs
6oz self raising flour
pinch of salt
drop of vanilla extract (only for plain cupcakes - no need if adding other flavouring)
WHIZZ
Deposit the cupcake mixture into cupcake cases
Pop into a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 15 minutes - set your timer :)
Check your cupcakes - if you lightly press in the centre, the sponge should bounce back. If not pop back into the oven for a couple more minutes

Please bear in mind that cooking time may vary depending on the type of oven you have. For reference purposes, I have a fan oven and I find that 18 minutes is perfect for my cupcakes.

Flavouring variations:

Chocolate - Once you've weighed out your flour, remove 1 tablespoon of it from your final amount. Then add 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder. This should be ample flavouring for 12 cupcakes. If you're doubling the recipe, double the amount of cocoa powder.

Strawberry - Follow the basic recipe and substitute the vanilla extract for a teaspoon of strawberry flavouring to the final mixture. Whizz. Taste, and add more if desired.

Orange - Follow the basic recipe and substitute the vanilla extract for a teaspoon of orange extract to the final mixture. Whizz. Taste, and add more if desired - this probably will not be necessary as extract is stronger than flavouring :)

Lemon - Follow the basic recipe and substitute the vanilla extract for a teaspoon of lemon extract to the final mixture. Whizz. Taste, and add more if desired - this probably will not be necessary as extract is stronger than flavouring :)

* Frosting *

This should ice 12 cupcakes

3oz butter
6oz icing sugar
Drop of vanilla extract
WHIZZ

You can increase this recipe if you desire, just remember to keep the ratio 1:2, so instead of using 3oz and 6oz, you can use 4oz and 8oz etc etc :)

Flavouring variations:

Chocolate - Substitute the vanilla extract for 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder. Whizz. Taste, and add a little more if desired.

Chocolate Peppermint - Substitute the vanilla extract for 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder. Whizz. Taste, and add a little more if desired. Add one teaspoon of peppermint extract. Whizz. Taste, and add more if desired.

Chocolate Orange - Substitute the vanilla extract for 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder. Whizz. Taste, and add a little more if desired. Add one teaspoon of orange extract. Whizz. Taste, and add more if desired.

Peppermint -  Substitute the vanilla extract for a teaspoon of peppermint extract. Whizz. Taste, and add more if desired.

Strawberry - Substitute the vanilla extract for a teaspoon of strawberry flavouring. Whizz. Taste, and add more if desired.

Orange - Substitute the vanilla extract for a teaspoon of orange extract to the frosting mixture. Whizz. Taste, and add more if desired.

Lemon - Substitute the vanilla extract for a teaspoon of orange extract to the frosting mixture. Whizz. Taste, and add more if desired.

I tend to use extract wherever possible as it offers the best flavours. It is stronger than flavouring so one teaspoon should be ample. I'm really rating Sainsbury's Taste The Difference Orange, Lemon and Peppermint Extracts at the moment!

* Decorations *

I've found a fab new tool for icing cupcakes and it costs less than £4! If you have a Lakeland close by, or fancy ordering online check this product out! I have the orange one with the star nozzle. It's a bit of a faff to fill up but it makes icing such a doddle!


If I fancy any extra items on my frosting, I usually just pick up decorating items from the supermarket. In the past I've used glitter sugar, silver sugar balls, chocolate crispies, chocolate stars, chocolate shavings, pearl sugar balls, edible Christmas decorations and confectionery. 

You can use anything that you have available really - your creativity knows no bounds! What's important is that you have fun :D


If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to leave a comment or drop me an email and I'll get back to you as soon as I can :)



Image and video hosting by TinyPic

17 comments:

  1. Erm, can i come round for tea and cakes please? hehe!

    These look lovely hun, wish my baking efforts were as good :)

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe sure :p Thank you :) Give it a whirl, it's so easy and so much fun :D xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to make cupcakes today but thought no I will do it tomorrow and ta da you have done a post on it :)
    So glad you have seeing as you have now given me a bit of inspiration!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hehe :D Glad to be of help! Let me know how your cupcakes turn out :D xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an amazing post, I want to bake now!!!

    Sarah x x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post babycakes! Lots of inspiration for my baking sessions with my cupcake maker! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you darling! Hehe yay! Looking forward to seeing what you make :D xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG yum! I'm making some on fri for my 21st pyjama party ahah so using your recipe :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ummmm YUM!!!!
    I'll have 300 million billion please :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Becki - Aww good plan! Let me know how they go :) Hope you have a fab 21st! Xxx

    Charli - Thanks! I best get cracking ;) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's Hubbys Valentines present sorted! 12 Homemade chocolate cupcakes from me and the kids! Thank you for the inspiration and recipes! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aww lovely! You're welcome! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE your use of the word WHIZZ. Such a happy word.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks :) We used to get told to whizz things when we had food tech! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow your cupcakes look so yummy! The chocolate peppermint one sounds fab, definitely need to give that a try x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Fei :) Let me know how you get on if you do xxx

    ReplyDelete